Friday, November 20, 2009

home, why i love it:

1. the way the smell of it clings to your hair and your blankets

2. taking a hot shower without worrying about pissing off seven other girls

3. locking yourself in your room, because you can

4. space

5. the fridge is full. so full.

6. cleanliness, clean lines

7. washer and dryer availability, sans onecard swiping

8. the doorbell sound

9. the smile you get from mom when she sees you

10. fresh fruits and vegetables

11. the fireplace

12. the lamp on my nightstand that i've had since i was eight

13. sleeping in mmmmyyyyyy bbbbeeeeddddd

14. preparing food on an actual counter-top instead of on top of a record-player

15. "dinner's ready"

16. taking up the whole couch, in all of its wholiness

17. mom placing a blanket over you when you accidentally fall asleep

18. laying on the floor and staring at the ceiling

19. dad's bucket of salty sunflower seeds, which is never witnessed to be empty

20. warmth. in every corner.


the concept of family and home interests me. i often wonder how trivial it is what kind of family and home you can be placed in just by destiny or fate. i could be living in my neighbor's house instead of mine, or be placed in a family of royals or thieves. but we are given our family, or rather we are given to our family, and we learn to love it to the last drop. families grow larger and never stop growing. a family could be gigantic if you think about it...like the show on TLC where there are eighteen children in the Duggar family. that would equal at least eighteen grandchildren. at least. in each house there is a family and each home a box of memories. i wonder if memories made with our family would be the same if we lived in different homes. would christmas still bring back the same feelings of crackling open wrapped gifts and ooey gooey chocolate chips sticking to your thumb when you sneak a bite of the first batch of cookies out of the oven? or is the feeling more related to the emotional aspect of christmas...as to say that if you spent christmas in a different home that you actually did all of your life, the memories would still be the same? this would suggest that home is not where the heart is, but rather where the mind has been. i suppose it would differ between people, where some remember the more physical things and others reminisce in the more intangible, unseen things, like joy, or love. a cold home to one person could be a buttery warm slice of toast to another.

bottom line; houses are boxes of time and families are molded by memories so if you put them both together you're bound to get a whole lotta special shapes.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you really make me want to go home. I live by myself in a one-bedroom apartment, and it gets kind of lonely sometimes when I get home at night. There is nobody here. I came from a huge family with five brothers and sisters, and it was never quiet. I miss the noise more than one could imagine. I always said that I could not wait to get out of that house and be on my own, but sometimes I miss it. Don’t get me wrong, I love living by myself (I love the space, freedom, and independence), but I like waking up in the morning and coming downstairs to see my dad sitting at the kitchen table wearing his glasses and reading the paper while eating breakfast. He looks so cute in his glasses. That is exactly how I always want to remember him because he looks so sweet. When I lived at home, I hated it, but now that I am on my own, I sometimes miss it. I think I just want a family to live with. I cannot wait until I start my own family someday. It will be really fun to bring the husband and kids home to see my dad and siblings. I love family; it is the most important thing there is.

    ReplyDelete