Sunday, October 11, 2009


dear autumn,

first off, you are so beautiful. your name brings the best of thoughts into my head. won't you please come soon? i feel like i have been waiting forever for you to come around. not to be a suck-up...but you are hands-down the best season out of them all. don't tell summer, but personally, i think she is totally overrated. i can't stand her heat and the way she makes my bangs stick to my forehead within three minutes of walking outside. don't get me wrong, summer days at the park can indeed be incredible, but nothing compares an autumn day in the mountains, where you leave me surrounded by leaves of burgundy, yellow, and red-orange, as well as the amazing smell of a crackling bonfire wrapping around my nose. your heavy gusts cool me off perfectly and give me long-awaited relief after september's unpredictable, boiling hot days. it might be a stretch but i'd like to just say that i think i am in love with you. speaking of it, fall love is the best. finally boys start giving up their jackets to their cold girls and offering a non-sweaty palm to hold on to! i thoroughly enjoy the fashion your weather calls for too. jeans, tights, comfy sweaters, and (non-cowboy) boots bring out the class in us dames. now, onto holidays: halloween is SUCH a fun time that you keep us teenagers waiting on the edge of our seats for. i mean who doesn't love dressing up and eating artery-clogging amounts of candy and chocolate? as cady heron says in mean girls, "halloween is the one night a year girls can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it." i feel like this motto will work well to describe unc's female population that awaited night. on an innocent note - when it comes to family, you are very good at keeping us close. home visits in the fall mean pumpkin carving with dad and baking apple pie with mom, with smells of cinnamon swirling into all rooms under the roof. thanksgiving is obviously a terrific holiday as well. eating lots of delicious food and playing games around the fire with family (aww) has a way of making our hearts feel whole again. and even when it comes near to your end, it's never too bitter because it means that "the most wonderful time of the year" is next! see you SOON, okay?

love,
sara

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love fall. I think it is the best time of the year too. Despite the fact that it gets cold (which is not necessarily a bad thing, but in certain situations, it is...for example a 9 am class...) the air seems CLEAN. It is crisp and there is always a breeze. Fall also has a distinct smell. If I go out for a walk on an October or November day, and I smell wood burning, it puts me in the best mood. It makes me want to go snuggle up in front of a fire, drink hot chocolate and hang out with friends and family. The colors that autumn brings also could not make me any happier. I LOVE the orange, red and yellow leaves that flood branches and the ground!! Autumn also means THANKSGIVING...which is my favorite holiday. I think that Thanksgiving is a time of true togetherness (no offense to Christmas!).

    ReplyDelete